Owner Relations Information

Owner Information

How do I change my address?

Please notify Ensign as soon as possible when your address changes. For your protection, we do not accept address changes over the telephone. Your change must be submitted in writing (signature included) using the attached Change of Address form to ensure that all information is provided.

What do I do if my name changes?

For individual name changes due to divorce, marriage, etc., please furnish Ensign with a copy of the marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other document affecting the name change. For a company or corporation name change, please provide Ensign with a copy of the Certificate of Merger or Certificate of Name Change

Payment Information

When are royalty payments made?

Payments are issued on the 28th of each month. A payment is issued when a balance of $100 has accumulated or in September, whichever comes first.

If you wish to receive payments for proceeds greater than $25, please send a request by mail, fax or email to Ensign Natural Resources and include a signature.

Does Ensign offer direct deposit?

Yes!  If you would like to have your payments deposited directly to your financial institution, please download and complete the ACH/Direct Deposit Enrollment Form.  Be sure to fill the form out completely and include a voided check copy and signature.  Forms may be mailed, faxed or emailed to Ensign Natural Resources.

When payments are made by ACH/Direct Deposit, statements will only be available electronically on our Enervus (formerly Oildex) Owner Relations site.

Please note that it may take up to 60 days for your direct deposit enrollment application to be processed.

How can I change my direct deposit information?

Download the ACH/Direct Deposit Enrollment Form and mark the “Change Request” box, then fill out the necessary changes. Please mail, email or fax the completed form (including a copy of the voided check and your signature) to Ensign Natural Resources.

How can a terminate my direct deposit?

Download the ACH/Direct Deposit Enrollment Form and mark the “Cancel” box. Please fill out the top portion of the form and be sure to include your signature. Please mail, email or fax the completed form to Ensign Natural Resources.

How can I see my check detail?

Access to view and print your royalty payment check detail is provided through Oildex. Please have a copy of your most recent check stub available in order to sign up for Enervus (formerly Oildex) Owner Relations site.

How do I read the check detail?

What should I do if my check is lost, stolen or is outdated?

Please allow up to 10 business days to receive your check. If your check is stolen, please contact our office immediately (281-800-3333 option 2) to stop payment. If your check is outdated, please write VOID on the check and mail it back to Ensign. We will reissue the check on our next check run.

Why does my monthly check vary?

Many factors may contribute to your check being different each month. These include market conditions, fluctuating commodity prices, production volumes and well maintenance.

Why does my check differ from others in my family?

Ownership percentage between family members is not always the same. One family member may have acquired additional interest in the same property or may own interests in other properties. One family member’s payment may include amounts related to a stale-dated check, may have additional funds being withheld because of a missing SSN or be subject to state taxes based on their resident state.

Transfer Information

How do I transfer my royalty or overriding royalty interest?

Please send a copy of the recorded deed, assignment or other legal instrument of conveyance, along with any other information which is relevant. The document may be sent by mail or email. Please include a completed W-9 Form for the new owner. Please make sure that the document is recorded in the county and state where the property is located.

How do I transfer the interest of a deceased owner?

Title to real property owned by a deceased party passes either by testate succession (with a probated Will) or by intestate succession (without a Will). In the absence of a Will, or if the Will has not been probated, title to real property passes according to the laws of Descent and Distribution for the State in which the wells are located, and not the state of residence.

If the owner died with a probated Will (testate), please provide the following information to Ensign:

  • Copy of PROBATED Last Will and Testament, with Certificate of Filing containing Probate File number from Probate Court
  • Death Certificate
  • Letters Testamentary naming the Executor
  • Determination of Heirship, Judgment of Possession or other probate documents, if appropriate
  • Final Decree of Distribution, if appropriate
  • Proof that debts and inheritance taxes have been paid
  • Recorded deed, if appropriate, to beneficiaries
  • Addresses and Social Security/Tax ID numbers for each party inheriting
  • Record a certified copy of the Will & Probate in the County/Parish where the wells are located OR provide documentation of ancillary probate proceedings in the state where the wells are located

If the owner died without a Will or if the Will was not probated (intestate), please provide the following information to Ensign:

  • Death Certificate
  • Attached is an Affidavit of Heirship for your convenience. Please fill out this document in full and have it recorded in the county in which the property is located. Please note that we cannot accept an Affidavit of Heirship completed by direct family members (those with a beneficial interest) of the deceased owner.
  • Please provide us with a W-9 Form for each heir of the deceased owner

What do I do with a trust?

If a trust is created, please provide Ensign with a copy of the Trust Agreement and a copy of the recorded conveyance into the Trust.

If you are dissolving a trust, please provide us with a copy of the Dissolution of Trust or other appropriate recorded document which transfers the trust to the beneficiaries.

Please provide us with a W-9 Form for each beneficiary of the trust.

1099 & Tax Questions

Why do I need to provide my social security or tax identification number?

A valid W-9 Form must be provided to Ensign for reporting and identification purposes. If a W-9 form is not provided, Ensign is required to withhold a percentage of revenue based on the IRS withholding rates. Backup withholding is reported on your 1099 each year. Ensign does not issue refunds for backup withholding.

When are 1099s issued?

1099 Tax Forms are mailed on or before January 31st each year.  Royalty owners who receive $10 or more in a calendar year and working interest owners and vendors who receive more than $600 in a calendar year will receive a 1099.  If your address has changed, please be sure to provide Ensign with your updated address so that your 1099 will be mailed to the correct address.

Does Ensign offer IRS tax withholding?

Ensign does not offer voluntary tax withholding.

Other Questions

What is a Division Order?

A Division Order is an instrument used by companies to verify an owner’s proportional interest in a well for the purpose of distributing oil and gas royalty revenue. A Division Order describes the specific property, the ownership type (RI, OR, WI) and establishes certain responsibilities between the parties. The Division Order does not alter or amend an oil and gas lease.

What should I do when I receive a Division Order?

  • Verify that the legal description is correct
  • Verify that your decimal interest is correct
  • Verify that your name and address are correct
  • Verify that your SSN/TIN are correct
  • Sign, date and return one copy of the Division Order in the envelope provided

What do I do if I receive a letter regarding unclaimed funds?

If you receive a letter from Ensign regarding unclaimed funds, please return the letter with the owner’s signature within 30 days to avoid having your funds turned over to the state. Ensign will contact you if additional documentation is required.

What are unclaimed funds?

State law requires that institutions, businesses and governmental agencies report to the state any personal property that has been unclaimed for a certain amount of time (the laws are different from state to state).

For additional information or to locate and collect unclaimed funds, please go to the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators’ website (NAUPA) at www.unclaimed.org

What should I do if I have a question about my JIB statement?

If you have a question about your JIB statement, please email JIB@EnsignNR.com or you may call 281-800-3333 (option 4)

What should I do if I have a question about Accounts Payable?

If you have a question regarding Accounts Payable, please email AP@EnsignNR.com or you may call 281-800-3333 (option 3)